Saturday, May 15, 2010

The sound of quiet

I love the sound of quiet, the quiet of early mornings before people are about, the sound of birds and of a gentle breeze; no dogs bark, no music blares from neighboring yards. No passing cars vibrate my walls with their blasting bass; I am quiet; the voices of other people and work, of pain, of daily life and even death, are stilled and I draw away.

Oh how I need to be still, to dwell in the sound of quiet; I need the quiet of His pastures and still waters even when they come through broken bones or poor health. Only then do I hear His voice and remember that He is God; He will be exalted (1Kings 19:12;Ps46:10).

Oh how good it is to be still, to listen to the sound of quiet, to be loved.


The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by his love.  Zephaniah 3:17

4 comments:

Maalie said...

I find it hard to exalt an entity that has allowed, nay, ordained, such global suffering and wretched misery, Halfmom.

Halfmom said...

allowed, not ordained - allowed because He will not force anyone, even you, to choose Him.

Even though He allowed us to choose to reject Him, He also loved us enough to sacrifice His only Son so that whoever believes in Him can have eternal life where there will be no suffering or misery.

By the way, He's a personal friend. And just as I would not permit anyone to defame you on this blog, I will not permit you to defame Him.

Ted M. Gossard said...

That could be the first or somewhere in a devotional book.

I have to discipline myself to have complete quiet though after a noisy time I sometimes welcome it. But it seems like somehow I have more of an appreciation for the Lord's nearness or working when I do.

I do love those intervals of silence at our church gathering on Sundays. Each part has its place and those parts as well. And we always sing, "Be Still and Know That I am God" before the Scripture reading and message. Powerful.

Anonymous said...

i like that time before the big stir as well.