Thursday, August 30, 2007

There's no place like home

and I can definitely say that I'm glad to be back in mine!

Arrived Chicago late on Saturday to slowly make my way through customs with soggy laundry, a bad sunburn, and about a million bug bites.

Many things in my life haven't gone "as planned", but this is the first time that I could blame it on a hurricane, or rather, the threat of a hurricane! As it turned out, the hurricane went even further south than they thought it might, so all we got was bad wind and rain - and poor students confined 4 to a room for 18 hours. We were all like cagged and hungry animals.

We finally made it to Cancun 4 or 5 days late, with our international scientific meeting canceled, but enough of us still around to salvage a days worth of talks - leave it to a bunch of nerds to want to sit and listen to each other after all that rather than hit the sunny beaches! So I settled for an early morning swim before heading home - only I didn't realize that the sun there isn't safe on the fair Irish skin even at that time of day.

So, thanks to all of you who prayed for our safety. Now if you could have a go at my sanity, I'll move back to the topic of obsession.

6 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Glad to see you back safe and sound. I had been thinking about you and the hurricane, and also my daughter who is in Guatamala. All she got was very heavy rain and thunder storms.

Glad you approve of Father Ann. You must come over sometime and meet her!

Yes, my email is back on line. A friend of mine (the owner of the chickens actually) emailed my server and he managed to get it sorted out for me. Meanwhile, Maalie has been having fun changing my llama photo every few hours, much to the distress of
Mrs Craver. I think I may have been banned from his blogsite!

Love Lorenzo.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Susan, Great to hear that you're back, safe and sound.

Get some alba kona coffee after-sun-lotion (hyp-allergenic) from Alaba Organics. That's very helpful for sunburns and in theory could reverse whatever danger occurs because of them. I've used it and others, and all have liked it. (we get it at Harvest Health here)

Scot and Kris McKnight and family make it to Cancun every year lately. Sounds like a fun place, though it didn't turn out as you folks had planned.

What kind of scientific work and/or discussion were you getting into there?

Ted M. Gossard said...

hypo-allergenic

mrs craver said...

Susan, it was so nice seeing you at church on Sunday! Glad you're back home . . . and safe!

Lorenzo, You are not banned from Craver's blogsite! Far from it! In fact, you are most welcome to go back and join in the conversation as you have been. I'm sure that Craver would miss your comments if you left.

ps: love the new picture! :)

Ted M. Gossard said...

Well, I hope we didn't scare you away. We're missing your voice. Though I know not everyone talks as much as I do.

spaghettipie said...

Glad you're back safe and sound! I'll pray for your sanity if you'll pray for mine. . . :)