Friday, February 23, 2007

The Difference in Fertilizer and Manure

A comment during the sermon this week has led to an interesting post by a friend. The comment made by the pastor was that he didn't do "biblical counseling" with nonbelievers. He used, as an example, the notion that it would encourage "whitewashed sepulchers", so I think I have a pretty good idea of what he meant. Let's see if you buy my "why".

Teaching nonbelievers to live by biblical principles just cleans up their external appearance without addressing the real heart issues. That’s a disservice to anyone, but especially to a nonbeliever because the consequences are eternally significant. In fact, I think it's rather like taking horse manure, something I have an intense, extended and personal experience with, and putting it in a closed container - no air, no sunshine, no movement of the pitch fork. It not only doesn't end up being great mulch and fertilizer for the flowers I so love, it becomes putrid and worthless - actually toxic.

Sometimes I think we forget that suffering the consequences of our own actions, even if they’re really bad consequences, can be a merciful and gracious gift from God even if it is a “severe mercy”. I think it is something He frequently allows for both believers and nonbelievers because it strips away our pretense of self-sufficiency and reveals the fact that our “insides” reek no matter how shiny our outsides may be.

If we help nonbelievers, or even each other for that matter, avoid the natural consequences of sin, we’re not only doing a disservice, we’re actually usurping the role of the Holy Spirit in their lives – and that’s a dangerous place to tread. The best advice to give a nonbeliever actually will be biblical even if it doesn't meet someone's definition of "biblical counseling" because their greatest need is the core of the Bible, Christ Himself. If you want to read a great description of how to do this, check out the post of another unmet friend.

May we all get out and stay out of the Holy Spirit’s way as He draws us to Himself.

If you abide in my Word, you are truly my disciples and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:31, 32

2 comments:

Lady Fair said...

Someone is using their blogger! Yay!

This is a hard one sometimes for me. I work with 2 unbelievers.
At first I would get offended, just by a story of something that happened, or a general comment, stuff like that. I was actually appauled because I couldn't believe they lived like that, especially since it's so unbiblical. Then I realized that they're not believers, so I can't expect them to live by the Bible.

They know that I'm a Christian and I talk about things in my life and how God works, etc. and they're just used to it. I'm trying to live by example since they both know and want to continue to live the way they're living. Like you said, the rest is up to the Holy Spirit.

Craver Vii said...

Thanks for reading & making a reference to my post. They say to be careful what you put in writing. You called me "friend," so I printed it out, highlighted, and framed it. :-)