Saturday, February 03, 2007

Dear Anon

"In a manner of speaking" is an idiomatic phrase that also may be expressed as "in a way" or "so to speak". When used as a modifier, as was the case in my previous post, it indicates that the modified statement, "I was scolded" is being used in a way that is not predictable from it's usual meaning. So, the long way to say it is, "something was said to me that, even though not it's intent, had the effect of a scolding".

That being said, perhaps more punctuation in the next paragraph would have helped you understand more clearly the intent of my statements. What I thought was, "I do use the site, quite frequently. Don't you know there is only one me? I am the real Halfmom. Even if you used my name, you still won't be the real Halfmom. I use my name because I live it; it's who I am and part of that is being able to comment on both Blogger and Xanga sites."

This being said, or rather thought, I came to the conclusion that I was having a response disproportionate to the offense - a 7 on a 1-10 scale when it should have been a 2. I received this realization as a "scolding" from the Holy Spirit and I began to think about why such a thing as a made up code name would mean so much to me, evoke such a significant and unexpected response in me.

You will find the answer to this question in a post in the, hopefully, not too distant future.

No comments: