Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thankfulness in trials

Not my strong suit, to automatically say thank you when a trial hits. 

And so it was when I returned home, well after dark, from a long, hot day in a non air conditioned office.  Sweaty and tired, I pushed the garage door opener, but nothing happened.  Now, this was not altogether surprising because the power frequently goes out on my block; but no, the garage door was sitting forlornly with the chain off the track.  Try as I might, I couldn't get the chain to stay on the sprocket and so I just gave up - I mean, a garage is nice but it's not a necessity, right?  It could wait.

To the rescue came my friend Jon.  His FB post reminded me that he was good with mechanical things.  That train of thought reminded me that we just hadn't visited in quite a while; I didn't know what was going on in his life.  So, a broken garage door became an opportunity to have a meal together, sweat in the closed, over 100 degree garage together, and then sit again, talking and eating ice cream together after the garage door was fixed.  Note the word "together".

So, thank you, God for the broken garage door.  It was so good to catch up with my young friend, see what you were doing in his life and just live life together for an evening.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

How encouraging! I often wish I could see more of what God was up to--and thank Him for it--in the little things that vex my days.

lorenzothellama said...

Hi halfmom! Thanks for the reminder. Will try to get some enthusiasm up for restarting Lorenzo!
Glad you got your garage fixed and had fun doing so. xx

Unknown said...

Yes, our washer went down, Deb is not working at the nursing home anymore (though a couple of new ventures), and so even though I'm on vacation, I kind of felt thrown back into the thralls of everyday again.

I need to hold on for the ride, because it will bring good surprises along the way, and especially the good of growing more and more into Jesus' likeness.