Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A little word

As I read Psalm 22 this morning, one little word catches my attention. It is the word, "yet". Having just read the book of John, the crucifixion is fresh in my mind. I see the prophecies given here in Psalm 22 that were later fulfilled on Golgotha's hill.

And yet, this is not what draws my attention in today's reading of this psalm. The little word, "yet", stands out as though written in larger font and bolder type. The psalmist speaks of crying out to God and God remaining silent. He speaks of abusive treatment at the hands of unbelieving men and yet no rescue. But after each such lament, he says, "yet". And each yet is followed by a statement of God's character and continued presence in his life.

Oh to live life this way, to walk through the days that are hard, observing that they aren't getting any better in some ways, and still and continually have the heart attitude of "yet". Oh to live like Job - "though He slay me, YET will I trust Him."

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I wholeheartedly agree.

Craver Vii said...

Little words can be so big sometimes, eh?

donsands said...

"I see the prophecies given here in Psalm 22 that were later fulfilled on Golgotha's hill."

Especially this one: "they have pierced my hands and feet"
An amazing verse.

Paul said he died with Christ. He was in Christ when Jesus was crucified, and yet he said he lives, but this life is Christ in him. And it's exactly the same for us who believe.

The more we live by faith, the more "yet" will be a comfort. And it's a life time of learning to trust the Lord's promises, especially the promise that he loves us beyond comprehension with an everlasting sovereign love.

Another nice post Susan. Thanks.

Ted M. Gossard said...

All I can say is a hearty, "Amen!" to this. And God will confirm it in our experience, in Jesus if we follow on, IN SPITE OF whatever we're facing or up against.