Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Disappointment

I ended the long weekend with a trip to the grocery, excitedly bringing home a watermelon. I didn't even wait to unpack the groceries before I cut into it, imagining the sweetness I loved as a child. My first clue that disappointment was on the horizon came when the knife went in and stuck; it was almost impossible to push down through the rind. My suspicions grew as a second twist of the knife didn't result in the nice cracking sound a ripe melon makes as you break it open. Sure enough, what awaited me was a pinkish fruit rather than the deep red I longed for. I cut a bite out and found it to be rather tasteless, not sweet. I ate a larger bite and it was crunchy on my teeth, not the lovely cushy texture a melon should be. So, it sits like a dead thing in the sink until time to put it out with the garbage. What a disappointment.

Sometimes life's like this. Even the progression is similar. We desire and we look about for something to satisfy; we imagine and seek to obtain. But unripe fruit, fruit out of season disappoints and leaves a bitter aftertaste. It sits and stares back at us, accusing us, revealing our lack of wisdom. Our lives show the truth of the scripture, "there is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is the way of death." Oh to be wise, to discern truth and be done with broken remnants sitting about my life with their accusing stare.

Anybody know how to pick a good watermelon?

7 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Do you have a juicer? You could always juice the flesh with an apple or something.

Or .. your could shove the flesh in a liquidiser with a banana and some yoghurt and make some lovely, lovely smoothies!

If nothing appeals, post it to England and I will put it on my compost heap!

Craver Vii said...

We've been pretty consistent at picking losers, except for the two my wife picked up last week. We're not sure what the secret is, though.

Anonymous said...

Knock on it like you're knocking on someone's front door. It should be hollow. Also, it should be much more greenish, and not yellowish.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Good thoughts. I don't know on the melon question, though what anonymous posts here seems sound.

We are certainly simultaneously saints and sinners (Luther). But also God is working to make us more and more like his Son. And a big part of that is sensitivity to sin. And finding that sin, and the pursuit of it leaves us empty and even sick, as you say here.

Learning more and more to walk in the Spirit, so that we move away more and more from the habits of the flesh in our lives. Then we learn to be content more and more.

Hebrews 11 and 12, with Jesus being the epitome and climax, and really the one now who enables us to join in the witness of faith in this life- of course so much in Scripture to help us through Jesus.

We all need to think on this.

Ted M. Gossard said...

...of course the we refers to all of us who by faith are in Jesus.

Halfmom said...

Alas, I have no composte pile, Llama and I wish that I might start one. However, since I have not even pulled weeds or mulched the beds, I'm afraid starting on goes to the bottom of the heap, so to speak:)

Craver, likely your family and I are purchasing at similar places. Perhaps is we had grown them in the backyards??

Yes, Ted. On this Luther and I agree! I think you'll find the post I'm getting ready to put up interesting.

Anon - welcome. The blog is set up to allow anon comments but we ask that you always leave a first name and location on your comment if you do not have a gmail email address so that we will know with whom we are speaking. e.g. su in chicago

Also - it "sounded" hollow and it was nice and yellow on the bottom - deceitful thing it was!

Ted M. Gossard said...

And I don't speak at all as an authority, but as one trying to understand, really understand, and really trying to learn to walk better in the truth that is in Jesus.