Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sustain the weary one

“The Lord God has given me the tongue of disciples, that I may know how to sustain the weary one with a word. He awakens me morning by morning, He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple.” Is 50:4

This has been my life verse for over 20 years. For the past several months, I have been writing the “story of Halfmom” as I process both who I am and what God is currently doing in my life in regards to this verse.

What I thought this verse would look like in my life has changed dramatically over the years, but always, in whatever form it takes, it involves me coming alongside of someone and putting an arm over their shoulder and walking with them for a bit. Sometimes I walk very closely for a couple of years, sometimes at a greater distance and for a shorter time, but it always, at some point, involves an arm around a shoulder and a word from scripture to help sustain them in a difficult time. And to do this, you must risk becoming involved in another’s life – and that can get messy!
I found a perfect example of what this can look like at “The High Calling” this week in an article about Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese called “Lead an Active, not Passive Life”. Now, of all the sports I enjoy, baseball is not among them, and yet, this article struck a cord with me and I hope it will for you too. Never be afraid to come along side someone and offer an arm around a shoulder and a word of encouragement, an offer of help. Don’t be afraid to be rebuffed but be overjoyed that God has awakened you to see what needs to be done in this present age. (Rom 13:11)

2 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

This is a very special verse for me too. When I was halfway through writing my manuscript and was voicing my hopelessness about teaching and writing (literally saying to God, "I can't teach! I can't write!"), I went in my dining room and found the bible sitting open to this. In mine it says...

the Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word...

Of course I did what anyone would when being spoken to so directly and tenderly. I wept.

Anyway, yes, scripture is sustaining, and I suppose it is also that "arm" around our shoulders.

Anonymous said...

This is such a powerful reminder that serving others and serving God doesn't have to be some big cosmic event.

I may not be able to change the whole world, but I better not use that as an excuse. There are lots of weary people nearby, and they need to be encouraged.

So what do you make of 50:1-3?