Tuesday, March 27, 2007

An interesting and insightful comment appeared in my previous post. “How do you know when the wisdom is God's and not your own? I'm awfully good at rationalizing all of my own wisdom and prooftexting it with random verses.” I guess my best answer is a favorite scripture, “a tree is know by it’s fruit” Matt 12:33;James 3:12). Or, my teaching tool while my kids were growing up, “now, how do you know that tree in the backyard isn’t a broccoli tree?” (btw, the back yard was a veritable apple orchard)

This reminds me of another favorite scripture passage, James 3:13-18: – a list of fruit of sorts so you can identify your tree - God’s wisdom or your own. “earthly, sensual, devilish, envying, strife, confusion and every evil work” – or “pure, peaceable, gentle, easily entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy – the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace”

Just to let you know, my favorite is “easily entreateable” – it means you listen well; I think to God and others. A wise person knows how to listen well to others, cares about what they have to say and is willing, when it is right, to yield.

So, what about your fruit salad- fragrant, juicy and sweet or hard, bitter and unyielding?

2 comments:

Mark Goodyear said...

It's more like I keep my fruit in the crisper drawer in the fridge, afraid to eat it, afraid to share it, afraid it might go bad!

That's an over statement of course. Thanks for taking my comment so seriously.

This is a good reminder to listen to God daily. In prayer and in the Word. It's the prayer thing I'm not so good at. And that can turn my study into an academic game of "twist the logic."

God help me learn how to approach your throne with fear and trembling.

L.L. Barkat said...

A mix of both, I suppose. Today I started reading Sacred Rhythms and I felt very touched to begin considering a little more deeply what's in the bowl, how it got in there, and how to possibly make myself more available to God's hand (to pick out what could be put in the compost pile!).